Many people are deciding to take the plunge and buy their first home. That is so exciting! I love working with first-time homebuyers! I have gathered some tips to help first-time homebuyers:
1. Make sure you are working with a reliable, patient and knowledgeable Realtor.
2. Find a reputable lender and get pre qualified to see what price range you are in. You can ask your Realtor to suggest a few lenders they have worked with and see which one is the best fit for you.
3. Visit Open Houses. You can find out about these from doing web searches, reading the newspaper, or by word of mouth.
4. Learn about your community and narrow down the areas you would like to live in.
5. Ask your Realtor to send you MLS sheets on the properties that fit your needs and wants.
6. Visit the properties and take notes and pictures.
7. It may be extremely beneficial to you to have representation in the form of a Buyer Agency Agreement with your Realtor. This changes your status from ‘customer’ to ‘client’. They can help you with decisions about the offer you make and help you negotiate along the way. Sellers have representation when they list their property. You should have representation too.
8. When your offer is accepted you will begin the journey toward closing.
9. Make sure you provide everything the lender asks for. Your agent can help you with details as necessary.
10. Work with your agent closely and keep them informed of your progress.
11. A week before closing make sure you have arranged all utilities to be turned on the day of closing.
12. The day before closing arrange to visit the home you are purchasing for a final walk-through.
13. Enjoy your new home!